Music & Memory Program
“A woman with Frontotemporal dementia enrolled in the Music & Memory program who was experiencing an increase in aphasia. I told her how impressed I was that she was able to identify songs so quickly and she replied, ‘Oh, you have given me back words and memories. I feel like I’m 18 again! I’m right back in that moment – feeling those feelings.’ ”
— Music & Memory Certified Organization Serving Individuals Living at Home (2017)
What is Music & MemorySM?
Grounded in extensive research, Music & Memory helps people living with a wide range of cognitive and physical challenges to find renewed joy in life through musical favorites. Our caregivers are trained to develop personalized playlists, delivered through an iPod or mp3 player.
How does personalized music make a difference?
- Older adults who participate in this program are happier, more social and receptive to care and family visits.
- Personalized music can help to reduce reliance on anti-psychotic, anti-depressant and pain medications.
- Music therapy can help reduce depression, anxiety and moderate pain.
- Music can help clients recall memories and improve overall quality of life.
Who can participate?
Anyone can benefit from using Music & Memory, but we especially
encourage our clients who have Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia
to participate and enjoy the benefits of the program. The following
individuals may also benefit from Music & Memory:
- Older adults who are bed-bound, on dialysis or ventilators
- Older adults with chronic pain
- Older adults who like to listen, dance or sing along to music