One of the joys of Halloween is the freedom to dress up in a costume without fear of others staring or passing silent judgment. One of the pitfalls of Halloween, however, is how pricey costumes can be. Sometimes the cost can make it difficult to find a good costume for a senior loved one. Fortunately, there are creative and affordable DIY costumes that can be fun and easy for seniors to make with their Palm Desert home caregivers.
All you need is a long-sleeved purple or black sweater, green construction paper, purple or green balloons (twelve to fifteen inches in diameter), scissors, and safety pins.
- Cut the construction paper into the shape of leaves.
- Blow up the balloons.
- Carefully pin the leaves to your loved one’s sweater.
- Carefully pin the balloons to the sweater, as well.
Despite its name, this costume can be used for both men and women. All your loved one needs is a disposable shirt, mail (with any sensitive information removed or blacked out with a marker), and tape or glue.
- Cut or tear the pieces of mail into strips
- Tape or glue the strips onto the shirt. Make sure they are close enough together that people can clearly see that it is mail.
Bag of Jellybeans
Who doesn’t love jellybeans? For this costume you will need a large, clear garbage bag, different colored balloons, scissors, ribbon, and a black permanent marker.
- Cut arm and leg holes in the bag.
- Using the marker, write nutritional facts on the back of the bag.
- Blow up the balloons.
- Once your loved one has put the bag on, fill it with the balloons.
- Use the ribbon to tie the bag closed around the neck, but make sure it isn’t too tight!
Silent Film Stars
For this creative costume you will need black clothing, preferably something that resembles styles between the 1930s-1960s, black lipstick and eye shadow, and white body and face paint.
- Once your loved one is wearing the clothing, help him or her put on the body and face paint.
- Use the lipstick to emphasize eyebrows or, for the gentlemen, add a mustache.
- For ladies, use the eyeshadow to add blush.
Home Improvement’s Wilson
Home Improvement fans will love this costume! You will need a beige floppy hat, a brown plaid shirt, thirteen popsicle sticks, and glue.
- Lay ten popsicle sticks side-by-side.
- Take two more popsicle sticks, and put glue on one side of each.
- With the glue-covered side facing down, press one horizontally across the top of the ten popsicle sticks.
- Repeat the above step with the second popsicle stick, except at the bottom of the ten popsicle sticks. This makes the “fence”.
- Take the thirteenth popsicle stick, and on one side add glue to about two inches of one end.
- Press the glue-covered end to the bottom of the ‘fence’ near the middle.
- Once the glue is dry, your loved one can grasp the bottom popsicle stick and hold the “fence” beneath his or her eyes!
Learn more about ways you can brighten up your loved one’s days by calling Home Care Assistance at (760) 345-0001. We provide Palm Desert, CA, home care seniors can trust to help them manage all aspects of everyday life including personal care, meal preparation and medication reminders. Schedule a free in-home consultation today when you call.